11.19.2008

Things I've Noticed

Hello all!

As an introductory blog post, I thought I'd catch y'all up on some things I've noticed.

Firstly, "emasculate." As in, "Germany was emasculated after WWI." It irks me that the word people use to express a forceful loss of power has to do with losing ones masculinity. It really irks me that this word is all over the academic world.

Also, "you guys." You can check out bitchmagazine.org's archives to find an article about how awesome "y'all" actually is! It is gender neutral, unlike the popular "you guys," is easy to say, and just rolls off the tongue. Imagine my surprise when something so Texan turned out to be so feminist!

Also, today during a self-education meeting we were reading some articles (aka blogs, but who am I to discredit this incredible art form?) that were considerably less feminist than this. Actually, you could, and they did, call them antifeminist. Of course, this got me a little riled up. The worst part was when one of them was actually upset about the "hug your vagina" movement. Until women can compare hairiness and labia length the way men compare their penises I will maintain that it is imperative to stress cunt love. Vaginas aren't pretty, or at least that's what I was taught to believe. I can't tell you who told me this, it was just something I knew. When a guy first started to head down there my first thought was, "how close do you have to get to do that, exactly?" and I almost refused. Who decided that our genitals are less attractive than the penis? And, how did they get so deep inside of the heads of so many women? For these reasons, for the testimonies of all of my friends and my personal experience, I believe that conversations about cunt love are necessary.

And now, a question. What do you believe about women who want to get married young, follow their husband, and have lots of kids? I don't want this question to seem biased in my asking of it, because I want an honest answer. As feminists, I feel like this is one of the big questions of our generation. Do we, can we, support all informed choices that our friends make, even if they choose to live a traditional life, seemingly unaffected by feminism?

Lastly, as you noticed, I use the word "cunt." Let me stress that more.
cunt!
If you find that offensive, or are confused, I recommend that you pick up "Cunt" by Inga Muscio and youtube Eve Ensler's monologue called "Reclaiming Cunt" from the Vagina Monologues.

"A sheath for a sword? Ain't got no vagina."

Peace, Love, and Solidarity,
feministish

1 comment:

Emma said...

I love, love, love Cunt. A friend lent it to me when I was 16. It was the first feminist book I ever read and it changed my life.