11.16.2008

Wanda Sykes is out!

Wanda Sykes, one of our favorite funny feminists here at SEU Feminist, publicly came out as a lesbian yesterday at a prop 8 protest. She announced to the crowd in Las Vegas that she and her partner were married in California on October 25th. She said she is coming out now because "I felt like I was being attacked, personally attacked-- our community was attacked." I just want to say congratulations and thank you to Ms. Sykes for having the courage to declare your love to the world and speak up for yourself and other members of the queer community.

I was at the prop 8 protest here in Austin yesterday and should have some photos to post later today.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Wow, that's so amazing! I wonder how she kept her wedding a secret from the press?

I wish I could have been at the protest. :( I'll live vicariously through you when I see the pictures!

Emma said...

It was pretty amazing. My mom told me on the phone just now that she could hear the rally from home, which is closer to St. Ed's than to City Hall (near South Congress Cafe, if you know where that is). I'm pretty impressed.